The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has issued an Energy Emergency Alert (Level 3) for the state, meaning rotating outages are underway to reduce demand on the electric system.
We urge Texans to put safety first during this time, ERCOT said in a tweet early Monday morning.
ERCOT says traffic lights and other infrastructure may be without power temporarily.
has declared an EEA 3. Energy conservation is critical. Rotating outages are underway to reduce demand on the electric system. We urge Texans to put safety first during this time. Traffic lights and other infrastructure may be temporarily without power. 01:25:40 150221
— ERCOT (@ERCOT_ISO) February 15, 2021
ERCOT urged Texans to reduce their electricity use before sending out the Level 3 Energy Emergency Alert tweet. It had warned that rotating outages would be needed to protect the electric system.
Heres how you can help reduce electricity use, according to ERCOT:
- Set thermostats to 68 degrees while at home, or as low as comfortably tolerable.
- Set ceiling fans to the winter setting by running them clockwise, to pull the warm air down.
- Avoid using large appliances (i.e., ovens, washing machines, and dishwashers).
- Ensure doors and windows are sealed properly. Any light through the door indicates a penetration of cold air coming into the home.
- Turn off lights, computers, and other electronic devices whenever possible.
Click here or see the PDF below to learn more about ERCOTs Energy Emergency Alert levels.
As always, Your Weather Authority team will keep you updated. You can get the very latest forecast anytime by bookmarking our weather page and downloading the KSAT Weather Authority App – available for both Apple and Android devices.
Also on KSAT:
Copyright 2021 by KSAT – All rights reserved.