MANILA (UPDATE) – Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed Saturday he has been admitted to the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) due to fresh bout with COVID-19. 
In a statement, Roque said he was sent to PGH due to “COVID-19 treatment.” 
“This is to say that COVID-19 is more transmissible now so we have to do extra precaution,” he said.
Despite this, he said, he would still be the one to announce later Saturday the risk classification for areas inside the “NCR Plus” bubble, which covers Metro Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, and Cavite. The matter is currently under discussion by the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 response. 
“I am asking for your sincerest prayers to all afflicted with COVID-19 in the country and around the world,” he said. 
Roque, who has a heart condition and diabetes, was earlier sighted inside the state hospital’s Department of Pay Patient Services, according to sources. 
They added that Roque is currently on non-invasive breathing support as he needed to be connected with a Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure. 
The official first announced he tested positive for the coronavirus on March 15. He was found negative for the disease on March 25. It was unclear when he again contracted the virus.
Roque earlier had a heart procedure, which prompted him to withdraw his 2019 Senate bid.
Roque’s hospitalization came as medical facilities in Metro Manila are nearing the breaking point, with some hospitals declaring full capacity in their emergency rooms and COVID-19 wards despite nearly 2 weeks since the imposition of the enhanced community quarantine in the region and 4 nearby provinces. 
The government is also distributing modular tents to struggling hospitals and re-deploying health workers from regions where virus transmission rates are low.
The Philippines so far tallied over 840,000 COVID-19 infections, of which over 178,000 remain active infections — the highest since the pandemic reached the country over a year ago.

You may also like